Watercourse Protection Development Permit (WPDP)

A WPDP application is required for any new development within 50m of a water feature, including streams, wetlands, ponds, or ditches. The environmental professional of record (QEP) will need to refer to the WPDP checklist early-on in the development process to assist with protection and management of environmentally sensitive aquatic areas.

Streamside Protection Regulations (SPR)

The SPR provide a methodology for establishing appropriate protection setbacks around water features. The City of Maple Ridge SPR review process is outlined in the following Power Point presentation. The Guide to the Streamside Protection Regulation provides the definitions and methodology associated with the SPR process.

In March 2005 Council supported staff recommendations that the municipality continue to use of the Streamside Setback Classification Map as a basis for the protection of riparian areas adjacent to watercourses, and that the municipality advise the Province that the Maple Ridge would not apply the Riparian Area Regulation.

Soil Deposit Permit (Fill Permit)

With land in the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), a soil deposit permit is required for any importation of soils. The soils must be of agricultural quality and/or for agricultural use. Roads for farm use are a permitted farm use and do not require a soil deposit permit from the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC), but the City must be notified. Permit applications are administered through the City of Maple Ridge.

With land outside the ALR, a soil deposit permit may be required if you are planning to import soil to your property depending on the volume of soil, the proximity to floodplains, watercourses, slopes, infrastructure or other features, and depending on the final depth of deposited material. Please contact Maple Ridge staff to inquire about permit requirements for your project or to report non-permitted dumping.

For convenience, please find below the following documents for your review:

Environmental Development Permit

A development permit (DP) is required for any clearing, building, or development related activity where properties are:

  • within 50 metres of a watercourse or wetland area
  • on slopes greater than 15%
  • located within a floodplain
  • within 50 metres of an area designated as conservation on the Official Community Plan "Schedule C Natural Features Map"
  • within a wildfire interface DP area

Tree Cutting Permit

A tree cutting permit is required for trees over 20 cm diameter. Trees of a significant size (50 cm diameter in urban area and 70 cm diameter in rural area) can only be removed under specific circumstances (Section 6.6 of Bylaw (PDF)). Trees in protected areas, including within 30 metres of a watercourse, within a floodplain area or on slopes over 25% cannot be removed unless they are assessed to be hazardous in a written report by a Qualified Tree Risk Assessor. Replacement trees are required to ensure that a minimum of 40 trees/ha (16 trees/acre) are maintained.

Trees along the front of most urban properties are on the road right of way and are the property of the City. They cannot be pruned or removed without approvals from the Parks & Facilities department 604-467-7346.

Watercourse Protection Bylaw

Maple Ridge updated and adopted the Watercourse Protection Bylaw No. 6410-2006 in 2006, which included new proactive site source measures for dealing with erosion and sediment control, rainwater management and stormwater management that are in compliance with current Federal, Provincial and Regional standards.