Making a Claim with the City

If you believe that your property has been damaged due to work done by the City of Maple Ridge and you wish to make a claim against the City, you may do so by providing written notice via the City of Maple Ridge Notice of Claim Form.

Your right to make a claim against the City is time limited. You must provide the City with written notice of a claim within two months from the date of the incident pursuant to section 736 of the Local Government Act, RSBC 2015, c.1.

Your written notice should include the following information:

  • your name and contact information;
  • the damage that occurred;
  • how you believe the damage occurred;
  • where the damage occurred;
  • the date and time of the incident leading to the damage; 
  • names of any witnesses or third parties involved, including contractors, equipment operators, etc. and their contact information if available; and
  • any relevant supporting documents/photographs.

Any photographs or documents that you believe support your claim may be submitted at the same time you submit your notice of claim, or can be submitted at a later date. Please include all original invoices and bills of sale, and retain damaged property for possible future inspection.

There are three ways to submit your notice of claim:

  1. Complete the online Notice of Claim form which will automatically be submitted to the Legislative Services Department;
  2. Fill out a printable PDF version and submit it to the City via email, mail, or fax; or
  3. Fill out a paper copy at the City Hall Main reception during the City's regular business hours of 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Claims Process

  1. Once you submit your claim, it will be forwarded to the City's insurance agency.
  2. An investigation will be conducted into the claim, and you may be contacted by an insurance adjuster for further information. Please note that it may take several weeks for the investigation to be conducted.
  3. Once the investigation is complete, a decision will be made regarding compensation. You will be advised of this decision as soon as possible by the City's insurance agency.
  4. The decision will be based on the insurance agency's determination of the City's liability, and as such the City cannot guarantee whether a claim will be compensated.

Claims Settlement

Submission of a claim, or initial conversations with City staff about alleged damages, does not mean that the City accepts liability for the claim.

Investigations of claims will be conducted in a manner that is professional, respectful and fair. Decisions are based on standard legal practices and principles being applied to the facts of the claim, and the rationale behind a decision will be provided in the outcome letter.

Compensation for a claim will only be provided if it is determined by the City's insurance agency that the City is legally liable for the damages that you have incurred. The City will only provide compensation for paid invoices, not estimates or anticipated costs, and require proof of paid invoice prior to settlement of a claim.

Appeals Process

If you wish to appeal a decision that the City has made concerning your claim, you may do so by commencing a court action through the Provincial Court of British Columbia or the Supreme Court of British Columbia.

Claimants may not appeal claim decisions through Council. 

Filing a Claim with Your Insurance Provider

We recommend that you notify your insurance company of the damages sustained. Your insurance policy may provide coverage for your damage, and this may be the quickest way to recover costs and have the repairs done. Your insurance company can then pursue any party they believe to be responsible for the damage.

For all other Claims inquiries, please contact the Legislative Services Department.