Record Drawings

Record drawings are used by the City to keep track of details related to roads, watermains, sanitary and storm sewers as well as other types of City infrastructure. Record drawings are used to aid in the design and construction of future infrastructure as well as a tool for the ongoing operation and maintenance of existing systems.

Record drawings can be obtained from the Engineering Department through the following process:

Contact Engineering Customer Service at 604-467-7339 or email to obtain information related to City services. Please include the following information:

  • Subdivision/Rezoning/Building Permit Number (if applicable)
  • Company Name (if applicable)
  • Contact Name
  • Contact Phone Number
  • Project Address
  • Project Plan including the extent and type of work anticipated

For the provision of record drawings related to non-City owned services such as BC Hydro, TELUS, Shaw or Fortis, contact BC One Call at 1-800-474-6886.

Locating Public Utilities

Whether you are a contractor or a home owner, prior to digging in the ground it is critical to locate all of the buried utilities including water, sanitary or storm sewers, electrical, gas, telecommunications or other underground infrastructure that service the City. Accidentally coming into contact with these utilities while digging, even with a simple hand shovel, could result in the loss of life or significant damage to private or public property.

It is your responsibility to stay safe and ensure that infrastructure is not damaged. Record drawings are available to help identify the depth and location of infrastructure in your work area. However it is important to note that record drawings are approximate and field verification is recommended prior to commencing work.

Identifying Public Property

Many people are not aware of where the City property ends and private property begins. It is important to know the boundaries of your property as this will help you to design projects as well as understand where the underground infrastructure shown on record drawings is located.

The most accurate method to identify your property lines is to locate the property pins. These are typically a metal pin buried in the ground and may potentially be marked with a white wooden post. A land surveyor will be able to assist you with this process if the property pins have been either buried or destroyed.

To get an approximate location of property lines, identify features using the City's Ridgeview mapping system and then measure to your property line. Typical features that can be used are concrete curb and gutter, sidewalks or inspection chambers.

It should also be noted that when working on City property you are also required to obtain a Highway Use Permit.