Due Dates and Penalties(Late Payments)
2020 Property Tax Due Date is July 2, 2020. The last day to pay before penalty is September 30, 2020
Mayor and Council have approved the 2020 property tax rate, due date and penalty date.The due date for 2020 property taxes is July 2, 2020.
Please ensure your property taxes are paid and your Home Owner Grant claimed (if eligible) by September 30, 2020. There will be a 10% penalty on unpaid 2020 taxes on October 1, 2020.
Property Tax Due Date
Property Taxes are always due the first business day of July.
2020 Property Taxes are due on Thursday, July 2, 2020.
The City of Maple Ridge is mandated to follow the British Columbia Community Charter - Municipal Tax Regulation. The 10% penalty is set by this charter. Below is a link to the charter.
There is no appeal against the penalty without extraordinary circumstances such as, City Hall strikes or disruptions to normal municipal operation, or natural disasters. Penalty relief must be approved by city council.
Penalties for Current Taxes
****Due to Covid-19, the 2020 Property Tax penalty is one penalty of 10% October 1, 2020. ****
- Below is normally how penalties are administered for the City of Maple Ridge:
- 2 penalties are charged of 5% of outstanding taxes to total 10%
- First 5% penalty is applied midnight after the property tax due date in July
- Second 5% penalty is applied after midnight on the first business day of September
- No other charges/interest is applied for current taxes
- After December 31 current taxes become arrears
Penalties for Arrears and Delinquent Taxes (taxes outstanding for 1 & 2 years behind respectively)
- Arrears taxes is any outstanding property tax balance one year behind (after December 31)
- Delinquent taxes is any outstanding property tax balance 2 years behind
- From January 1, arrears and delinquent balances gain daily interest penalty.
- The interest percentage charged is set quarterly based on prime rate.
- Currently interest rate charge can be found https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/local-governments/finance/requisition-taxation/arrears-or-delinquent-taxes-due-to-local-governments
For more information: