Zoning Bylaw Update
Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 was adopted on December 8, 2020. A copy of the new Zoning Bylaw can be found here: Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019. An 11" x 17” copy of Schedule A - Zoning Map can be found here: Zoning Map.
Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 is intended to replace the City’s existing Zoning Bylaw No. 3510-1985
The existing Zoning Bylaw was originally adopted in 1985 (Zoning Bylaw No. 3510-1985) and has been amended over the years to respond to changes and new community initiatives. A Zoning Bylaw specifies land uses, density, siting and size of buildings, and lot area and dimensions of properties for subdivision. Zoning regulations are intended to ensure the orderly development of the community and avoid conflicts between incompatible uses.
The new Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 has been prepared to better align with the City’s current policies and regulations, to meet current Provincial legislative requirements, to respond to emerging market trends and address the City’s sustainability goals and vision. Additionally, the layout, functionality and clarity of the new bylaw is intended to be more user-friendly and effective.
Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 contains the following main categories of regulations:
- Regulations dividing the City into zones, including residential, commercial, industrial, institutional, agricultural and comprehensive development zones;
- Includes general regulations pertaining to prohibited uses; specific land uses; size, shape and siting of buildings and structures; landscaping and permeable surfaces; waste and renewable energy; and lot area and dimension requirements for subdivision.
- Within each zone, regulations for the permitted use and density of use of land, buildings and other structures;
- Regulations for setbacks, and for the height of buildings and structures;
- Regulations for the area, shape and dimensions of new lots;
- Regulations for waste management and energy systems;
- Regulations for landscaping and fencing;
- General regulations, including for administration and enforcement of the bylaw;
- Transitional provisions to accommodate zone amending bylaws under Zoning Bylaw No. 3510 - 1985 that are in-stream.
On April 9, 2019, staff presented a report on the Draft Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 at Council Workshop. A copy of the Staff Report can be found here: Workshop Staff Report.
Council granted First Reading to Zoning Bylaw 7600-2019 on April 23, 2019.
On June 20, 2019 an Open House was held for the Draft Zoning Bylaw at Eric Langton Elementary School. A copy of the Information Boards presented that evening are available here: June 20, 2019 Open House Information Boards.
Council granted Second Reading on July 28, 2020 to Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019. A copy of the Staff Report can be found here: Second Reading Staff Report.
Public Hearing was held on September 15, 2020.
Council granted Third Reading to Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 on September 29, 2020.
Council granted Final Reading to Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 on December 8, 2020