What you need to know:
- Applications for permits are reviewed for compliance with Maple Ridge’s bylaws and provincial codes.
- On-site inspections are conducted to ensure the work is being done correctly and in accordance with the building permit.
- Successful completion of building and plumbing permits results in the building receiving an occupancy permit.
- This building permit becomes part of the permanent record in the property file. This information is important to future property owners since it assures them that the work was done in accordance with applicable zoning, health and life-safety regulations.
- Permits may be required prior to work and a variety of the permits below may be required as part of your project.
Applying for Permits
Building permit application requirements depend on the nature and scope of the proposed work. For detailed submission requirements for common types of work the City of Maple Ridge has created an Online Guide to Building Permit Applications.
The City currently has tailored guides for five project types:
1. Single Detached Dwelling
2. Detached Garden Suite
3. Secondary Suite
Book Inspections Online
This service is for all permit types. For electrical and gas final inspections you will completing the required declaration online as part of this request process. Once the request has been scheduled in the system you will receive a confirmation email. Click here to request an inspection.
Daily Inspection Schedule
View daily inspection schedules for all permit types issued by building department and find out if your inspection will be in the morning(am) or afternoon(pm). Click here to view inspection schedules
View inspection results based on the date the inspections was scheduled for and took place. Inspection results can only be retrieved for the previous two-month period. Click here to retrieve inspection results.
Information required to book an inspection:
Building permit fees include a plan processing fee (payable at the time of application) and a Building Permit Fee (payable at the time of building permit issuance). If it becomes necessary to make changes to a permit already issued or if you require additional inspections, additional fees may be required.
- What services does the Building Department provide?
- Why do I need a permit?
- What types of things do I need a permit for?
- What is the cost of a building permit?
- I want to re-grade my property and bring in a "little" fill. Do I need a permit?
- How long does it take to get a permit?
- How can I find out what my property is zoned?
- Where can I find the size of my lot?
- What can I build on my single-family residential lot?
- How big can I build on my lot?
- How do I determine the location of my house in relation to my property lines?
- How high can I build a fence on my property?
- What time will my building, plumbing, gas or electrical inspection be?
- Can I request a certain inspector for inspections?
- What do I need for a final inspection?
- How do I know if I live in a floodplain?
- What is a flood construction level?
- How can I get a copy of my house plans or a copy of the occupancy certificate?
- What size of accessory building can I build?
- There's a new development being built beside my house and I'm worried about water coming onto my property. What can I do?
- Why do I need a geotechnical engineer (for anything)?
- How do I find out if a house I am purchasing has ever been used as a grow op?
- What restrictions apply for building retaining walls?
- Can I do my own plumbing on my property?
- What is a Right of Way?
- How can I find out about a Right of Way?
- Where is my water, sanitary or storm connection?
- What is a covenant?
- What is an easement?
- How do I arrange for an easement?
- How do I find any legal documents shown on the title on my property?
All General Building EnquiriesEmail for All General Building Enquiries
Submit Trades Permits (PG, GS & EL) ApplicationsSubmit Trades Permit Applications via Email
Inspection RequestsOnline Inspection Booking
Email Inspection Requests
Building Department Online Inspection BookingClick here (https://www2.mapleridge.ca/BIS) to request an inspection. This service is for all permit types and is currently replacing the 24 hour inspection phone line. For electrical inspections and gas final inspections you will now be completing the declaration on-line as part of the request process. Once the request has been scheduled in the system you will receive a confirmation email.
HoursMonday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm