Let’s Talk Housing – Accessory Dwelling Unit Review
What is an Accessory Dwelling Unit?
In Maple Ridge, an accessory dwelling unit (or ADU) includes secondary suites and detached garden suites (also known as coach or carriage houses) in residential areas.
Accessory Dwelling Unit Review
The City undertook a review of the regulations for secondary suites and detached garden suites (DGS) in late 2017 and included a DGS Pilot Project. This webpage includes information and details on this process.
Background information on the regulatory review, including details and outcomes of the public consultation process in the links below:
Detached Garden Suites Pilot Project
In February 2020, the City undertook tours of the units constructed through the DGS Pilot Project. The tours showcased three DGS units: two were built under the DGS Pilot Project and one was built under the current DGS regulations. These tours were designed to:
- Raise awareness of the City’s DGS program,
- Provide an opportunity for Council and the community to tour two DGS pilot project units that were constructed as part of a DGS and Secondary Suite (SS) regulatory review, and
- Showcase successful projects within the community.
- May 1, 2018 - Council Workshop meeting report (PDF). Council endorsed a DGS Pilot Project process and timeline.
- June 19, 2018 - Council Workshop meeting report (PDF). A Look-Book conceptual document (PDF) was prepared for four properties participating in the DGS Pilot Project.
- June 26, 2018 - Council Meeting report (PDF). The report presents four Zone Amending Bylaws for four DGS Pilot Project participants.
- November 27, 2018 - Council Meeting report (PDF). Council granted final readings of the Zoning Bylaw Amendments and Housing Agreement bylaws to the following two Phase 1 Pilot Project participant properties
- January 14, 2019 - a report entitled, Detached Garden Suites (DGS) Pilot Project – Phase 2, was presented at Council Workshop and the following resolution was passed: that staff be directed to not proceed with phase 2 of the DGS Pilot Project.