Hosting a Community Event
Hosting a special event in Maple Ridge is an opportunity to celebrate our cultural identity, community spirit, pride and unique sense of place. By creating a new community event or sharing your ideas and creativity to enhance or expand an existing festival or special event, you are building and celebrating our community spirit, pride and culture.
Special Event Application
Step 1: Review Guidelines
Once you're ready to begin, check that your event matches the following criteria:
- Located in a Maple Ridge public space such as parks, roads, and plazas.
- Inclusive in the design, promotion, and delivery of the event.
- Free or low cost.
- Takes place once a year or infrequently.
- Ensure that Federal and Provincial laws, permits and requirements, and City policies, by-laws and guidelines are followed including public safety.
- Complies with Public Health Guidelines. See provincial website for details.
Step 2: Submit an Application
If your event meets the above criteria, complete the online Special Event Application including any supporting documents at minimum 90 days prior to your event date.
Review the Festival Resource Guide (PDF) and Event Planning Resources (please see second tab with same title) to help prepare your application.
If you are new to hosting an event on civic property, contact staff by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to help confirm your eligibility and assist with your application, site map, safety and/or planning.
Step 3: Application Feedback
Once your event application is submitted, staff will send an acknowledgement to let you know we have received it. We will continue to provide feedback in a timely manner and communicate with you throughout the process.
Step 4: Preliminary Approval
Once preliminary approval is provided, you can move forward with your event plans which may include finalizing contracts, completing any appropriate permits, and marketing. If your event is not approved, staff will work with you to try to resolve any outstanding issues.
Step 5: Park Orientation
As part of the contract requirements, event organizers (two representatives) who host events in Memorial Peace Park are required to attend a free site orientation prior to the approved event to ensure your event day plans go smoothly. If you are hosting your event in another park or public space in Maple Ridge, you are not required to attend a Park Orientation and may skip this step.
2022 Orientation Dates - Memorial Pace Park
- Saturday April 9, May 7, June 4, July 9, and August 6
- 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
- Memorial Peace Park
- Please register by emailing email@example.com and remember to include the names and contact details for the representatives.
Event Planning Resources
The following list of Event Planning Resources includes everything from templates to maps of our most popular venues for those looking to host a community event in Maple Ridge. Be sure to check out our updated Special Events Manual!
- Special Event Manual
- Template - Safety Plan
- Template - Waste & Recycling Plan
- Template - Communicable Disease Prevention
- Sample - Event Planning Checklist
- Sample - Event Day Checklist
- Resource - Mobile Food Truck Fact Sheet
- Map - Memorial Peace Park
- Map - Albion Fairgrounds
- Map - Maple Ridge Park
The City of Maple Ridge provides a festival grant program to eligible groups and approved festivals and special events held in Maple Ridge with both in-kind and cash contributions for small, medium, and large festivals that are new or recurring under the City’s Festival Support Policy 4.22. The two streams in this grant program are:
- Grassroots Grant
Available for emerging, small, or new festivals that have been publicly presented less than three years. Apply year-round until available funds are allocated. As per the policy, staff review and approve applications pending availability of funds.
Before submitting a Grassroots Grant Application, please review the Guidelines and Festival Support Policy.
- Festival Support Grant
For established festivals and special events that have taken place for three or more years. These applications are reviewed by an inter-departmental Committee that makes recommendations within the Council approved budget.
There are two intake deadlines:
- March 10, 2023 for festivals taking place between May 1 through September 30, 2023
- September 9, 2022 for festivals taking place between November 1, 2022 through April 30, 2023
Before submitting a Festival Support Grant Application, please review the Guidelines and Festival Support Policy.