Home Based Businesses
What is a Home Based Business?
A Home Occupation, also called a home based business, is the operation of a small scale service, trade, profession, or craft from your home.
Can I start a Home Based Business?
To operate such a business there must be a home on the property and the business must be operated by the occupant(s) of the home. Home based businesses are an important part of the City's economy, however, the City needs to ensure that neighbourhood character is maintained and employees are safe. As a result, there are limitations on the operation of a home based business.
Click on the handouts below to see a summary of regulations for each category of Home Based Business.
See the City of Maple Zoning Bylaw No. 7600-2019 for all regulations related to Home Occupation.
If you have any questions about whether a business would be permitted in your home, contact the Planning Department either by phone 604-467-7341 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need a Business Licence?
Yes, a business licence is required to operate a home based business. Getting a business licence is a simple process that is required of all businesses operating in Maple Ridge. City staff will help you work through the process of getting permits (if applicable) and your business licence.
Please visit: Business Licensing | Maple Ridge, BC
Work To Date
- July 18, 2017 Council Workshop Report (PDF) outlines the above with possible new zoning regulations.
- October 17, 2017 Council Workshop Report (PDF) summarizes the community consultation activities and feedback as well as provides a revised set of regulatory changes to the Zoning Bylaw for Council to consider. View the video archive of the October 17, 2017 Council Workshop. At the October 17, 2017 meeting, Council carried the recommendation that the revised regulatory changes (now called Bylaw No. 7394-2017) be forwarded to the next Council meeting for consideration of first reading.
- October 24, 2017 Council Report. First Reading was given to Bylaw No. 7394-2017
- December 5, 2017 Council Report. Second Reading was given to Bylaw No. 7394-2017 and was forwarded to the January 23, 2018 Public Hearing.
- January 23, 2018 Public Hearing. The recordings of the Public Hearing and Regular Council Meeting are available in the video archives.
- January 30, 2018 Council Report. Third Reading was given to Bylaw No. 7394-2017.
- February 27, 2018 Council Repot. Fourth/Final Reading was given to Bylaw No. 7394-2017. The meeting agenda and recordings are available in the video archives. View the full text (PDF) of Maple Ridge Zone Amending Bylaw No. 7394-2017.
- July 28, 2020 Council Workshop Report provides an overview of the successes to the Home Occupation regulation expansion as well as next steps to maintain flexible approaches that enable the continuation of safe and adaptable employment opportunities in Maple Ridge.
Past Community Engagement Information
For more information and to share feedback about the proposed updates on the home based business regulations, a public open house took place at the Maple Ridge Library on the evening of September 13, 2017. A copy of the September 13, 2017 Open House Information Boards (PDF) are available online and the October 17, 2017 Council Workshop Report (PDF) summarizes the September 2017 engagement activities.
City staff were also available to answer questions on the proposed home based business updates at the Haney Farmers Market on Saturday September 9, 2017, Women’s AM on September 14, 2017, Babes in Business on September 19, 2017 and at the networking event, hosted by the Home Based Business Task Force, on September 22, 2017. A community survey was available to gather resident feedback at all community events as well as online until October 2, 2017.
If you have questions, please contact the Planning Department: