Skip to content
- Online Services
- What is a "feed" or RSS?
- Privacy Statement
The Fraser River Heritage Walk links the key heritage sites in Port Haney with a paved walkway. Beginning at the refurbished Port Haney Wharf, now equipped with a landing for river traffic, the walk takes you through an underpass of the Haney Bypass to historic Haney House. You may stop there to admire the river view, or sit on a bench in the Haney orchard at the top of the garden. Winding through a residential area, the walk takes you to Brickwood Park on the corner of 225 Street and 116 Avenue. From there it is an easy stroll to the Maple Ridge Museum along 116 Avenue. The River Walk is open year round.
- Port Haney Wharf and Office
- Original Post Office
- Bank of Montreal
- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
- Prince David Lodge Masonic Hall
- Old Post Office
- Haney House
- Haney House Orchard
- Brickyard Office
- Maple Ridge Museum
Port Haney Wharf and Office
This false front building was constructed in 1926 as a real estate office in upper Haney. It was moved in 1950 when the Post Office on 224 Street was built. Roy Beckstrom Towing Company used it as an office on the riverfront until the early 1980s. It was moved again onto the Port Haney Wharf after restoration in 1992.
The Post Office was housed in various general stores until this building was erected in 1932 as the first separate post office. Because many businesses had moved to the upper town, this building was used as a post office only until 1939. It is now a residence.top
Bank of Montreal
The Port Haney branch of the Bank of Montreal was built in 1910, with living quarters upstairs for the manager. When the present Bank of Montreal was built on the Lougheed Highway in 1932, this building was used for housing. The building was restored as the Billy Miner Pub in 1981.
The Manse next door to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is now a private home.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
The brick-faced church was built as a Presbyterian Church in 1888 on land donated by Thomas Haney. The steeple was added in the 1930s to house the Methodist Church bell. St. Andrew's became a United Church in 1926 and continued to serve a congregation until 1956 when it was replaced by the larger church at 222 Street and Dewdney Trunk Road. The heritage church is now used as a small community hall, operated by the Maple Ridge Historical Society.
Prince David Lodge Masonic Hall
The Masonic Hall was originally constructed on the Lougheed Highway (north side between 224 Street and 225 Street) in 1931, and moved to its present location on 116 Avenue in 1980. The Hall has been in continuous use since it was built.
Old Post Office
This building stood on Fraser Street to serve as the Haney Post Office from 1939 until 1950. It was used by several retail stores until the Maple Ridge Historical Society moved it to Callaghan Park where it serves as a pre-school.
This gracious family home was built on the brow of a hill overlooking the Fraser River by pioneer Thomas Haney for his wife Anne and family. They came to Maple Ridge in 1876 and founded the town of Port Haney in 1882. Members of the Haney family lived in the home until 1979 when it was donated to the people of Maple Ridge. Haney House has been open to the public since 1981. Features of the main floor are a farm kitchen, family portraits and furnishings in the parlour and dining room. Upstairs is a fully furnished master bedroom, little girl's room, priest's room and bathroom.
Haney House Gardens
Surrounding Haney House are heritage gardens and remnants of the original orchard. The efforts of caretakers are reflected in the restoration of the gardens to perennial plantings of old-fashioned species.top
The office for the Port Haney Brick & Tile Company was built in 1930 of solid brick, tile and cement as workspace and as a showcase for the Brick Company. Now part of the Maple Ridge Museum, it is used as meeting, activity and work space.
Maple Ridge Museum
The Maple Ridge Museum is housed in the 1907 Manager's home for the Port Haney Brick & Tile Company which operated until 1977. After demolition of the brickworks, the land and two remaining buildings were donated to the municipality by the Baynes family for a park. The main floor tells the story of the Katzie First Nation and the pioneer settlement period as well industry and displays of household goods. On the lower level is a late 1920's era model railway diorama showing the strong influence of the CPR on the area's growth plus the role of railway logging.top
This 1944 CPR Caboose is one of a rare few remaining all wood cabooses from WWII days. The plywood sheathing and action colours have all been replaced as part of a restoration to the as-built appearance. One side has the popular "script" lettering and the other side has the first "block" scheme. The interior retains the in-service configuration. It is open to visitors during tours and on the last Sunday of every month.top