Heritage Plaque Program
The Heritage Plaque Program was launched in 1992 in order to help build public understanding of the value of our built heritage, and to create a climate of support for the preservation of valuable older buildings. The owners of homes and public buildings that have received plaques have been universally supportive of the project and are proud to be included in our public recognition events. Residents of the local communities have also been pleased to attend the ceremonies.
The Program began with the selection of some of the most important heritage buildings in the District - notably St. John the Divine Church, the oldest church in the Province - and evolved to highlight buildings and sites that have contributed to the rich history of the municipality. In recent years, there has been a concerted effort to recognize buildings throughout the municipality, celebrating the diversity of the District's heritage resources.
On February 14, 1992, the first plaque was unveiled near the site of MacLean High School on Dewdney Trunk Road, the first secondary school to be built in the District in 1922. Remarkably, a good number of former students were on hand for the ceremony, sharing memories of their former school. Many of these same individuals were on hand for a rededication ceremony in September 2001, following the construction of the new municipal library. Over 40 plaques have been dedicated since the program began.
The Community Heritage Commission plans to continue the Heritage Plaque Program focusing on the diversity of buildings and sites in the various communities within Maple Ridge. The Commission would welcome suggestions for future plaque locations throughout the District.
The purpose of the Heritage Plaque Program is to recognize significant heritage sites in the community. This is the former site of MacLean High School, the first high school in Maple Ridge. Approved by Education Minister MacLean in 1922, MacLean High School served students in the Maple Ridge area from 1922 until 1954. The original school consisted of two rooms and a lab The school was added onto several times and was eventually converted to the Public Safety Building. Eventually the school was demolished and today the site is home to the Maple Ridge Municipal Hall, library, and an office tower. The plaque that commmorates MacLean High School is located just outside the Maple Ridge Library.
Community Heritage Plaque Program
If you are interested in researching the heritage of your home and receiving a heritage plaque, please see Heritage Plaque Application.