Skip to content
- Online Services
- What is a "feed" or RSS?
- Privacy Statement
Who requires a business licence?
All businesses in the District of Maple Ridge require a business licence. Some of the benefits to obtaining a business licence include:
- Makes your business a legal operation in terms of the District of Maple Ridge's Business Licence and Regulation Bylaw [PDF, 592KB]
- Lists the business in the Maple Ridge Business Directory (home-based, commercial and daycare business licences only)
- Enables the District to regulate the types and locations of businesses conducted within its jurisdiction
- Supports the development of promotional materials aimed at attracting business investment and job creation
- Assists with the development of demographic and statistical information on the local business climate
- Supports parking enforcement, community policing and Adopt-A-Block programs.
How do I apply for a business licence?
Business Licence application forms can be obtained by mail, fax, online or at the Licences, Permits and Bylaws Department at Municipal Hall. Applicants are required to complete the application in full and provide a minimum payment of $110.00.
We have a guide [PDF, 62KB] to assist you with applying for a business licence.top
What type of business licence do I need?
There are four different types of business licences:
- Commercial Business Licence refers to a business operated from a storefront, retail, commercial, industrial, etc. location in Maple Ridge
- Daycare Business Licence refers to a business operated either from a commercial location or a business operated out of the home located in Maple Ridge
- Home-Based Business Licence refers to a business operated (including office use only) from a residence located in Maple Ridge
- Non-Resident Business Licence refers to a business located outside of Maple Ridge where the business person is physically coming in to Maple Ridge to conduct business or to call on clients.
Taking over an existing business or closing a business?
Business Licences are not transferable. Any person who acquires a business or a controlling interest in any business from any person licenced under the Business Licence Bylaw shall make application for a new Business Licence. It is the responsibility of the previous owner to close his/her account with the District of Maple Ridge by completing a Business Closure Form [PDF, 104KB].top
Moving your business?
If you are moving your business to another location in the District of Maple Ridge, a new business licence application must be completed and submitted to the Licences, Permits and Bylaws Department. If the applicant holds a current business licence and is a home based daycare or commercial business, a transfer fee of $50.00 must accompany the new application. If the applicant does not have a current District of Maple Ridge business licence the minimum licence fee of $110.00 must accompany the application. Applications can be found online or at the Licences, Permits and Bylaws Department front counter at the Municipal Hall.top
Changing the name of the business?
If you are changing the name of your business, please complete the Business Licence Name Change Form [PDF, 100KB] and submit to the Licences, Permits and Bylaws Department.top