Three Simple Steps
Step 1 - Determine if your project qualifies
In a nutshell, if your project qualifies you will enjoy priority processing and a host of other benefits including fee discounts, and up to six years exemption from municipal property tax. See our brochure [PDF, 2.2MB] for a summary of the program.
To qualify, the project must be in the Town Centre Area [JPG, 958KB] and the building permit must be issued by Monday, December 30, 2013. Further qualifications, and the incentive benefits, are outlined below:
Qualifications and Incentives:
Maple Ridge is forecast to double in population and jobs in the coming years, and the Town Centre is where much of that growth will be. Our incentive program is designed to attract investment that will help accelerate development in the Town Centre so the buildings are ready to welcome families and businesses. In its first year, the Maple Ridge Town Centre Investment Incentive Program already generated over $100 million in construction activity.
The incentive includes commercial and mixed use projects such as hotels, conference and meeting facilities, offices, post secondary, retail shops and multifamily residential developments.
Qualifying projects enjoy priority processing, three years municipal tax exemption - with up to six years municipal tax exemption for energy efficient projects - and a host of other incentives. Projects categories include new commercial construction valued at greater than $ 1 million dollars and new multifamily residential construction - minimum 4 and 5 storey. Note: Within our Central Business District, where higher density residential is encouraged, there is no maximum building height restriction
To find out if your project qualifies review the categories you're interested in, then call us to discuss.
- Commercial - new construction - minimum $1 Million
- Commercial renovation - minimum $20,000
- Commercial façade improvement - minimum $10,000
- Residential - new multi-family or mixed-use construction
Or, see our Program-At-A-Glance [PDF, 375KB].
Energy efficient projects may qualify a total of six years exemption from municipal property taxes - so we encourage you to explore the programs and valuable resources offered by energy companies. They may be able to help you achieve the maximum tax exemption offered by the program.
- Energy partners - our program is even more rewarding for projects using alternate energy solutions. Companies such as FortisBC and BC Hydro have programs to assist with studies, design, build and financing of such systems, to help you maximize your savings. If you'd like to explore your options, let us know, and we'll put you in touch.
- The BC Brownfield renewal program that provides tools, resources and funding to help turn underutilized, vacant or perceived contaminated commercial properties into investment ready sites - on their way to becoming vibrant areas of the community
Step 2 - Investment Backgrounder
Learn more about Maple Ridge - '2010 # 5 Top Canadian Investment City' - and why there's never been a better time to invest here. The links below are designed to give you background on Maple Ridge. From our incentive brochure and presentation to the 2005 - 2010 Investment Report, self-guided tour and highlights map we hope you'll find the information interesting and informative as you make your investment decision:
- Town Centre Investment Incentive Program Brochure [PDF, 812KB]
- Maple Ridge Investment Report [PDF, 812KB]
Includes 2005 - 2010 public and private investment
- Invest Maple Ridge Real Estate Update Presentation [PDF, 823KB]
- Invest Maple Ridge Presentation
- Maple Ridge Investment Tour 2012 [PDF, 199KB]
- Media Release: Maple Ridge Ranked #5 in Canada, #2 in BC
- 2011 Top British Columbia Investment Towns [PDF, 1.1MB]
- Town Centre Development Guidelines [PDF, 32.2MB] and Council Reports and Bylaws
- Passive Buildings Canada
Learn about low energy and environmentally-neutral buildings
- Downtown Maple Ridge Business Improvement Association (DMR BIA)
Step 3 - Talk to Us
When you're ready to meet let us know. We'll be back to you within three business days to schedule a meeting where your team can sit down with our Town Centre Priority Team to discuss your project. You'll leave that meeting knowing what you qualify for and what the next steps are. We're looking forward to hearing from you.
Invest Maple Ridge