Bylaw Violations & the Complaint Process

Please note that we do not accept anonymous complaints and there is a limit of three (3) non-recurring complaints per complainant property, per calendar year. 

You can submit a complaint online, over the phone, in person or by regular mail. Some of the more common bylaw violations are listed below.

Animal Control Bylaw

Please contact the Maple Ridge Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) at 604-463-9511 to report a dog at large. View our Animal Control & Licencing Bylaw.

Building Bylaw

Please contact the City of Maple Ridge's Licences, Permits & Bylaws Department at 604-467-7311 if you would like to make a complaint regarding Building Bylaw violations, such as:
  • building without a permit
  • building after a stop work order had been given
  • occupying a building without an occupancy permit

Business Licence Bylaw

Complaints include operating a business without a current Maple Ridge business licence. View our Business Licencing and Regulation Bylaw.

Highway and Traffic Bylaw

For any moving traffic violations, like speeding, please call the Ridge Meadows RCMP at 604-463-6251 or if considered an emergency, call 911. Review our Highway and Traffic Bylaw. Some of the more common violations under this bylaw include:
  • overtime parking
  • parking within 3 metres of a private driveway or entrance
  • parking within 6 metres of a stop sign or traffic control signal
  • parking within 5 metres of a fire hydrant
  • parking in a "no parking" or restricted parking area
  • parking an overweight vehicle (over 5,500 kilograms) in a residential zone
  • leaving an unhitched trailer or boat on the street

Noise Bylaw

If the noise you hear is gunshots or people fighting, please contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police at 911. For noise complaints such as a barking dog, loud music, etc., please print off and complete our complaint form or contact the Licences, Permits & Bylaws Department at 604-467-7305. Please note that to lodge a noise complaint, we will need to know the following information: type of noise, dates, times and duration of the noise that is occurring. We do not accept anonymous complaints.  Review our Noise Bylaw.

Standards of Maintenance

To make a complaint about the standards of your rental premises, please use the Standards of Maintenance Complaint Form. View our Rental Premises Standards of Maintenance Bylaw.

Untidy / Unsightly Bylaw

View our Unsightly Premises Bylaw. Areas of complaint include:
  • garbage and debris  
  • unmowed grass
  • overgrown vegetation or noxious weeds (i.e., blackberry bushes)
  • graffiti on buildings or structures

Zoning Bylaw

View our Zoning Bylaw. Areas of complaint include:
  • illegal suites
  • wrecked vehicles
  • unlicensed vehicles
  • overweight and over length vehicles / boats / trailers on a residential property