History in the Making
Port Haney was named for Thomas Haney, a skilled brick maker who purchased land on the north side of the Fraser River in 1879 due to the area's excellent deposits of clay.
In early February 1880, a large part of the south bank of the Howison farm slid into the Fraser River. The "Haney Slide" as it become known, partially blocked the Fraser River and created tsunami-like waves that damaged wharves and piers along the river.
Shortly after the Haney Slide, Thomas Haney fulfilled his dream and established a brickyard business which he operated for 11 years. The location of his land in Port Haney was ideal as they could easily transport the bricks on the Fraser River. With the CPR railroad development, Port Haney developed rapidly as newcomers established businesses near the wharf.
After Thomas Haney sold his brick-making business, he partnered with his brother-in-law and purchased a hotel on Ontario Street. That venture was short-lived, shortly after their business started, his brother-in-law—the bartender—sold a bottle of gin to a minor. Thomas then went on to do a variety of other things, but along with his son, they decided to develop a water supply system on his property after discovering some springs where the slide in 1880 took place. The Haney family maintained this water supply system until 1941.
Port Haney experienced a series of fires in 1910, 1926 and again in 1936. The 1926 fire that was set by an arsonist and happened on the same evening as the fire in the neighbouring community of Port Hammond which destroyed much of the business centre.
Learn more about the history and the pioneer families of Port Haney at the Maple Ridge Museum.
The Heritage Resources of Maple Ridge is a great resource for additional information about the Port Haney area.
Historical Buildings in Port Haney
- Abernethy and Lougheed Co. Office | 22350 Calligan Avenue | Circa 1923
- Bank Of Montreal | 22355 River Road | Circa 1911 | Today: Billy Miner Pub
- Beckett Residence | 22335 Calligan Avenue | Circa 1922
- The Cenotaph | 224 Street | Circa 1920s | Today: Located in Memorial Peace Park
- C.P.R. Van Caboose #437115 | 22520 116 Avenue | Circa 1944 | Today: Located adjacent to the Maple Ridge Museum
- Fuller Watson Store | 22390 Lougheed Highway | Circa 1932
- Gardner Residence | 11502 240 Street | Circa 1919
- Haney House | 11612 224 Street | Circa 1878 | Today: Heritage Site Museum
- Haney Post Office | 22375 Calligan Avenue | Circa 1939 | Today: Daycare Facility
- Japanese Kindergarten | 11739 223 Street | Circa 1936 | Today: C.E.E.D. Centre
- Maple Ridge Cemetery | 214 Street | Circa 1880s
- Maple Tree | 11813 222 Street | Landmark representing the namesake of Maple Ridge
- Masonic Temple | 22272 116 Avenue | Circa 1931
- McDougall Residence | 23259 Dewdney Trunk Road | Circa 1933
- Methodist Church Bell | 22165 Dewdney Trunk Road | Circa 1872
- Port Haney Brick Co. Manager’s House | 22520 116 Avenue | Circa 1907 | Today: Maple Ridge Museum
- Port Haney Brick Company Office | 22520 116 Avenue | Circa 1930
- Port Haney Post Office | 22371 River Road | Circa 1933
- Post Office | 11841 224 Street | Circa 1951
- Residence | 22987 Dewdney Trunk Road | Circa 1920s
- Ridd Residence | 22323 Calligan Avenue | Circa 1912
- Royal Oak of England | 214 Street | Circa 1938 | Today: Plaque on the mature Oak tree
- Saint Andrew’s Presbyterian Church | 22279 116 Avenue | Circa 1888
- Saint Andrew’s Manse | 22289-22291 116 Avenue | Circa 1906
- Storey Residence | 22345 Calligan Avenue | Circa 1932
- Turnock Residence | 22309 Street Anne Avenue | Circa 1939
- Wharf Office | 22300 Block River Road | Circa 1926
Port Haney is a heritage district created to protect some of the remaining buildings from earlier times. In addition to the buildings already on-site when this was the steamboat landing as well as the CPR station, other heritage buildings from around the City of Maple Ridge were relocated to Port Haney to preserve them and enhance the heritage flavour of the location.
Take a stroll through historical Port Haney and follow the Port Haney Heritage Walk (PDF). The walk links the key heritage sites in Port Haney and is approximately 1.4 km one way. The difficulty level is moderate and there are some inclines.
Download the Port Haney Heritage Walk Brochure (PDF)